Wednesday, September 5, 2012

oven bacon

Who hates when hot grease pops out of the pan when you're cooking bacon on the stove?  ME!!!  I especially hate it when it gets me when I least expect it.  Soooooo I decided to cook bacon in the oven this week to try something different.  I've seen this on Pinterest and wanted to give it a shot.

I preheated the oven to around 400 degrees.  I'm guessing that's what I had it on/near.  Like I've mentioned before, there's no precise way to know for sure what temperature it's on because the dial is not labeled with numbers.  Then, I laid a cooling rack over the edges of a big, deep dish pan.  If the pan were a little larger, you could sit the cooling rack inside the pan instead of letting it hang over the edges.  This worked perfectly fine though if you prefer it this way.  I laid the bacon side by side, and popped it into the oven for somewhere around 15 minutes.  I just kept checking on it to see if it was cooked like I like it yet.

 And this is what I ended up with...yummy bacon!  Yes, it was still a bit greasy, BUT I didn't have to endure standing over a hot stove flipping bacon pieces and cussing like a sailor every time I got popped on the arm or neck by a flying speck of grease.  All of the grease was contained to the bottom of the deep pan that I simply poured out after it cooled off later.
 And here's another picture, closer up, for you bacon lovers to drool over.  :)
So if you're tired of being assaulted by bacon grease and don't want to resort to wearing long sleeve, turtleneck shirts and a hockey mask to cover your face, I say give oven bacon a shot.  :)