Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Pho

I'm on a roll, people!  My friend and I went to dinner last night, and I tried Vietnamese food for the first time in my life.  I'm not sure where this brave streak has come from, but I'm loving the adventures it's taking me on and the memories it's allowing me to make.


The rice paper is on the left, above the bowl of hot water.  You dip it in the water, pull it out and lay it on your plate, and then you fill it up with whatever meat, vegetables, and/or sauce that suits your fancy.

I put pork, chicken, and red peppers in mine with a little sauce, rolled it up, and got to chewing.  The ingredients inside the roll were good.  It was the texture of the rice paper itself that I couldn't get past.  I ate the entire roll to give it a fair chance, but if it had been any bigger, that would not have been the case.  Once wet, the rice paper is wayyyyy too rubbery for me.  I'm gagging now just thinking about the texture.

I ate all the chicken hidden in this dish.  Yum!

This was beef Pho, and it was my favorite!  If I ever go back here, I'll be getting a bowl double the size of this and going to town.  :)
So in the past month I've tried samgyetang, dakgalbi, and Vietnamese.  I wonder where my courage will take me next!