Monday, June 25, 2012

Pizza, Kimchi, and Mickey D's

When we visited Shinsegae, the world's largest department store, recently, we saw that there was a pizza oven place in the food area.  This weekend we decided to try it out.  We got it to go so we could do our taste testing at home.  :)  It was definitely edible, but it totally lacked in flavor.  Parker ate it up, but Connar took one bite of it and looked like he was about to lose it along with everything else he had eaten that day.  I've never seen Connar eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich as fast as I did after that.  :)

We ordered a pepperoni pizza.  These little circles are not pepperonis.  It was like peppered ham instead... really, it was like ham sprinkled with some pepper.  Like I said, it was edible, but I don't think we'll be eating that again.  Notice the cucumber kimchi in the little container on the left? 

For those who don't know what kimchi is, I've looked up a pretty good definition to share with you.  Kimchi is a traditional fermented Korean dish made of vegetables with a variety of seasonings.  There are hundreds of varieties of kimchi made with a main vegetable ingredient such as cabbage, radish, scallion, or cucumber.  Kimchi is also a main ingredient for many Korean dishes such as kimchi stew, kimchi soup, and kimchi fried rice.  ***Now, I know many people like kimchi, but it's just not my cup of tea.  No, I have not tried it, nor will I ever.  You're welcome for the definition above because if I had given my own definition, it would've sounded something like this: Kimchi is a stinky dish that is made and sold everywhere, and I do mean everywhere, around here.  :)  I wouldn't be surprised if they sold a room deodorizer with the kimchi scent, because that's how very much they love it around here.


So another day this weekend we decided to try McDonald's for lunch.  There is nowhere to park anywhere in this city (Seriously, people make their own parking spaces right smack in the middle of the street, they move pots of flowers from medians to park there, they park on the sidewalk, and I've even seen some park in bicycle lanes.... and no, I haven't seen a tow truck yet.  Maybe that's why they keep doing it.), but it's okay because we live in a great location within walking distance (sure it might be a good little walk but that's okay) of lots of places.  Mickey D's is about a 10-15 minute walk from our apartment UPHILL so getting home is a little faster.  When Talton ordered, the lady pulled out a menu for him to point to.  Works for me, because then there is no confusion on what we want!  She even came over to the boys, pointed to this display case of Happy Meal toys, and asked them which ones they wanted.


This McDonald's has two floors and a drive thru (not ever doing the drive thru because I can't point to a menu there).  The first floor is where you order, and there's also a small counter to the left of this picture for call in delivery orders.  They have a handful of motorcycles parked outside that they use to deliver food around town.  If you want to dine in, you go upstairs.



This picture cracks me up!  Connar and Parker are both reaching for the bag of food.  Too funny!  By the way, they pack everything in that bag, including drinks.

I was psyched to have a fountain Coke!  And how about these nifty bags as opposed to the cardboard drink carriers we have back home?  I have to say that these rock, and I didn't feel at all like the drink was going to spill like I do when I use the cardboard drink carriers.

I'm not sure what the point of this ring around the burger was.
I'm pleased to report that the nuggets, fries cheeseburgers, and Coke tasted just like home.  Thank you, Mickey D's, for making me and my boys so happy!